1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?
Went to Vienna.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't really do resolutions. I do vague "wouldn't it be nice if I wasn't so rub at doing things this year" thoughts instead.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! offensive_mango had a lovely baby! As did a few other lj friends, but they don't live so near me so I'm not exactly relegating them to "not close" status, but they aren't as physically close. All the babies are lovely anyway!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully. A few of my friends unfortunately had bereavements, and that made me sad.
5. Did anyone close to you get married?
No. Come on people, get married, it's a while since I've been to a good wedding!
6. What countries did you visit?
I also visited Scotland, but it turns out that it isn't a different country at all. Better luck next time, Scotland!
7. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
A new job!
8. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
23rd June, which was the date I lost my job.
9. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Um. Not big on achievements this year. Ooh, I know, I made a thing!
10. What was your biggest failure?
Well, getting sacked wasn't great.
11. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was diagnosed with bile acid malabsorption after having had lots of tests to rule out anything more serious. So it was nice to find out why I was so frequently having to run to the toilet. And having got the diagnosis, it seems to have been sorted out, which is nice.
12. What was the best thing you bought?
An amazing kitchen bin that opens when you just wave your hand over it. Say goodbye to having to touch the bin lid misery!
13. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
All my friends who rallied round me when I lost my job. Women who've refused to be silenced by misogynist twitter idiots.
14. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Misogynist twitter idiots, and their assorted allies. The government. The Labour party, for yet again chickening out of presenting a proper alternative to the government. The usual connection of right wing w@nkers.
15. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, debt repayments, utility bills, food. The usual boring sh1t.
16. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Really, really, REALLY excited? That's a lot of excited. I don't know if I ever get that excited about anything these days to be honest. I probably got quite excited about the world cup.
17. What song will always remind you of 2014?
I honestly have no idea. I don't really do linking music to years like this.
18. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder? Sadder
b) Bigger or smaller? About the same
c) Richer or poorer? Poorer
19. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Making the effort to leave the house when stuff was happening. It all seems like so much effort sometimes.
20. What do you wish you'd done less of?
21. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent it at my parent's, eating too much as per usual. It was nice to see some old school friends though, which I'd managed not to do for too long - musn't let that happen again.
22. Did you fall in love in 2014?
I don't think I did, y'know. Not with any real people anyway, probably with some people on the internet who I've never met.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Toast of London was very funny, as was House of Fools.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Yeah, that c0ckrot landlord MP who filibustered the housing debate about revenge evictions. The only reason I didn't already hate him was that I'd never heard of him previously, but if that's the only thing you've done that has brought you any note then you're pretty hateful by definition.
26. What was the best book you read?
I'm starting to realise why I've never done this meme before. I Don't know! My memory is rubbish for things that happened last week, never mind 12 months ago, hang on, let me go and look at my Kindle order history.
Oh yeah, it was Going Off Alarming, the second volume of Danny Baker's memoirs. Excellent stuff.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Spook School!
28. What did you want and get?
I can only think of stuff that I bought, which surely isn't really the idea behind this question, as otherwise it would just be a repeat of question 12.
29. What did you want and not get?
A new job.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
The Grand Budapest Hotel. Only Wes Anderson can get me to the cinema these days.
31. What did you do on your birthday?
On my actual birthday I stayed at home and watched the European Cup final, but I had my official birthday the next day when I went to Bletchley Park (v good, highly recommended) and then went to the pub with friends.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I'm bored of saying "new job" now, but a new job.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
I wouldn't really. It's less "concept" than "grab a t-shirt, a pair of jeans and some trainers" but I believe other people might now be describing this as "normcore". They sound like the kind of people who can fvck off though.
34. What kept you sane?
My excellent friends.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Stella Creasey is totally hot, as well as being intelligent and lefty. Oh, Maxine Peake too, who has all those attributes and a gorgeous northern accent.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The continuing bullying of the poor and vulnerable by those in power.
37. Who did you miss?
I miss my family, who I've chosen to live far away from. But I'd miss all my friends if I moved back near them. Hey, let's all move to Manchester!
38. Who was the best new person you met?
offensive_mango's baby, Arthur. He's always smiling, and generally cool as fvck.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014:
If everything seems a bit sh1t, go back to bed and fall asleep for a few hours.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's DOA."